Skills J wk21
A woman walked up to an old man sitting in a rocking chair on his porch.“I couldn’t help noticing how happy you looked,” she said. “What’s your secret for a long, happy life?”“I smoke three packs of cigarettes a day, drink a case of whiskey a week and love eating fatty foods.”“That’s amazing!” the woman said. “But how come you look so young and healthy? Oh, I know, you probably exercise a lot, don’t you?” He said, “No, I haven’t exercised since I graduated from high school 20 years ago.”
＊walk up(歩み寄る) rocking chair(揺り椅子) porch(屋根付き玄関) can’t help ~ing (～せずにいられない) fatty(脂肪過多の)
1. What did the woman want to know about the man?
2. What does the old man do every day and every week?
3. How does the woman react to the man’s response?
4. Does the “old” man exercise a lot?
5. Is the man actually old?
A few days before Mother’s Day, my husband announced he had to work that Sunday and wouldn’t be able to fix me dinner as he usually does. “I have an idea,” my teenage daughter piped up. “I’ll take you out to eat.” “But the restaurants will be so crowded with all the other mothers,” I protested. “Don’t worry, Mom,” she replied. “Most of them probably won’t be eating at McDonald’s.”
＊announce(知らせる) fix((食事や飲み物を)作る・用意する) pipe up(甲高い声で言う) protest(異議を唱える)
6. What does my husband usually do for Mother’s Day?
7. What is my teenage daughter’s idea?
8. Where does she want to take me?